Formed in 1903 East Berkshire Golf Club is well over 100 years old and enjoys the facility of an established, beautiful golf course.
It was in 1903 that the masters of Wellington College first talked about golf - or, at least, a golf course - and being men of action as well as enthusiasm, they formed a company and bought sufficient land on which to lay out a course.
For the first few years the Club flourished, but some six years afterwards there was apparently a depression, and the records of the Club show that the Company which had been formed, sold their land to Mr. Howard Palmer J.P., the head of the famous biscuit firm from Reading which bears his name.
But the change in ownership of the land proved a blessing indeed, for the new landlord granted a lease of the course to the Club on most advantageous terms, a lease which has since been renewed with the same generosity. In fact, since Mr. Howard Palmer's interest in the Club, the family have retained their connections with it.
We owe great thanks to the four principal founding members; Armstrong, Upcott, Fitzgerald and Palmer. Their vision and passion for golf has been celebrated by naming the four centenary bridges (7th, 13th, 14th and 15th holes) in their honour.